Monday, October 19, 2009

Your own podcasting experience

17 comments:

  1. Podcasts may be a challenge to implement. I am sure many quickly jump to the conclusion that the technology itself is the biggest challenge. I think the biggest challenge is providing enough tasks for all the students in the classroom to remain engaged in the project.

    I think planning is the most crucial step in the podcasting process. Each step needs to be clearly defined and probably needs to be modeled several times until the students are familiar with the tasks. During the process, I think the teacher needs to be a strong resource for students. The teacher needs to work with each of the groups to check their research, critique their scripts, and help them with any technologcial issue along the way. If the teacher leaves the students to accomplish the project on their own, the quality of the project may diminish due to apathy or confusion. The teacher should probably leave the final editing as his/her responsibility, since editing can be very time consuming. Students who express interest in learning about editing may wish to stay after class and work on the final touches with the teacher, but it should probably not be a part of the in-class experience.

    If in-class podcasts are too difficult, you could hold after-school seminars on podcasting to allow students the opportunity to learn more. You could provide them with time to create their own podcasts using school computers or teach them the skills necessary to do them at home. Additionally, teachers could offer "creating a podcast" as one of several assessment choices for a large unit project. Those students interested in podcasting would then have the opportunity to show their skills and creativity in the presentation of their material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One problem with doing a podcast with a high school class might be that we wouldn't have the luxury of being able to split the class up into two rooms as we did. So if a big class of high schoolers were recording a podcast, it could turn into a mass of confusion with people recording right beside one another. Also, the levels of experience with computers might vary more drastically than in our class, so it might be difficult to get everybody to the same level. Some might not know what a podcast is or what the point of one is.

    Before the class, the teacher could space the computers or desks out (if they are laptops) so people have space. Also, the teacher could play a podcast so that students who are not familiar with them can become uberexcited about them. During the podcast recording, the teacher could go around and help them record because it could potentially get confusing. And afterward, as the one we saw in the film do, the teacher could put the finishing touches on the podcast if the students did not have time to finish them.

    If the kids can't make a podcast in school, you could offer it as one option for a project. Then, people who wanted to make them could make them. And those who didn't wouldn't be penalized. You could stay after school or during lunch to teach the ones who wanted. All students have lunch free--it just depends how dedicated they are to the pod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think making a podcast would be challenging but rewarding. One of the biggest concerns would be time – time to research, to write, to edit, to record, to edit, and to listen to the final result. As a history teacher, I might incorporate a podcast and minimize the challenge of time by integrating the bulk of the research and writing for the podcast into part of another project or lesson. One example I’ve seen is to make a class-wide podcast a culminating “radio show” from a historic time and talking about the news, events, and culture of that era after the students have completed projects on these topics.
    If doing a podcast in the class was not an option and if one had the inclination and time and if the school had the funds and/or equipment, a teacher could sponsor a podcasting club. Another, easier option would be to have making a podcast as an option of format for a project or assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the greatest challenges would be familiarity with the technology both for the teacher and the students. Someone could easily “lose” all their work, and then what would you do? It would also be difficult to complete this project in a computer lab where groups and sounds would overlap. I think the way Eric set it up is probably the best – script and dry run before hand so all the work on the podcast can be done in class. For a shorter class period you may have to have two computer classes, one where you learn the program and experiment with it, and then one class period for recording and mixing. Too much time could result in students goofing off, and it has the potential for one person to do the majority of mixing. I feel like defined roles with certain technology requirements per person would keep each student more on task than not. The students should be given enough class time to complete their work so teachers aren’t burdened with it and so that all students are on equal footing, and everyone has access to what they need. I am wary of giving students an advantage if they do it out of class and have access to better technology or tools or what have you. If podcasting isn’t an option, I think that creating a movie for the class or YouTube would be similar. Or even a skit, play, or news radio show in class would allow for creativity and presentation of the material. If you specifically wanted to do a podcast, you could stay after school with them or get them in touch with the technology coordinator. Or even create a project out of petitioning for podcasting technology in the schools. Giving students to access to podcasts could be just as educational – letting them listen to history facts or short stories on the way to school – something is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The access and familiarity with technology would, in my eyes, be one of the hardest challenges. Students that have had prior technological experience might be able to produce work of higher quality. Not only that, but the amount of time it took to make this podcast, including planning, took up two class periods. I would be afraid of devoting this much time to about ten minutes of audio. A mixture of both-- availability of technological features and time, would make it difficult to create an effective podcast.

    To counteract this, making sure the student is familiar with how podcasting works would be able to cut off time spent learning. Smaller projects, like having them read a poem instead of make a large podcast would enable them to become familiar with technology. During the project, the teacher could simply make themselves and possibly a technology consultant available to help them. The teacher could do the same activity before hand to ensure they know how to record and save the project in case the students need help with this.

    I think Dustin made a great point about making podcasting one of the project options! Providing some podcasting resources for the school's library would allow the student to work on it after school or during their lunch or study hall periods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the biggest challenges to using podcasts in the classroom are time and knowledge of the technology. While we were able to complete our projects fairly quickly, high school students would probably need more time to research, plan, practice, record and edit. On top of the time commitment, few students would be familiar with the technology programs--Audacity for example-- needed to complete the assignment and most likely even if they had access to it at school, they would not be able to use it from home depending on computer or internet availability.
    To combat these challenges, I think that the teacher could have a heavy hand in the planning of the podcast and give students more direction to ensure that time was used efficiently. Before and during the project, the teacher would have to explain and re-explain the techniques necessary for Audacity usage and remind students to save their work frequently under different versions so that work is not lost entirely if they hit a wrong button or two. With regard to access issues, the teacher could allow students to work during lunch, during his/her planning period or after school, but this would require a lot of time for the teacher. After recording, the teacher could edit the work together like the Room 208 teacher but again this requires a lot on the part of the teacher.
    In order to allow students to use the technology if they are interested, the teacher could provide the podcast as a possible extra credit project or as an option for a mandatory project to allow students with extra interest to pursue it on their own or with a smaller group. Overall, I think that it could be difficult but fun and worthwhile to use podcasting in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As has come up over and over again, a students' familiarity with this kind of technology varies greatly, and often boils down to socioeconomic level and access to those resources. This variation can really affect the amount of time it takes to put together such a complex project. In Nelson County high school, having students work on computers to complete webquests is particularly challeging- and particularly important. In order for the students to keep up with their peers working with Mesa in Albemarle County, they will need to be proficient not only in Word, Excel, and powerpoint, which many of them are not, but also, in using the internet, designing webpages, and keeping blogs. Teachers will need to monitor themselves for using technology for technology's sake, as well as recognize the need to incorporate it into their content-area learning goals, despite the challenges they might face.

    In order to make the project more efficient, the teacher could differentiate by having students more advanced in computer and sound-recording technology do more complex tasks, like editing or "directing," so that there are several people assisting and helping at once. Teachers should also try to give out detailed, illustrated directions (here's a great example of illustrated instructions http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation/security/campus_iphone_2_vpn_setup.html) and have someone proofread them for student-friendly language.

    If making a class podcast is not possible, teachers could create an after-school program that makes a school podcast. Like a school newspaper, the podcast could cover recent and curent events, but in the form of a podcast. Teachers could also facilitate a podcast project, ensuring that all students had the ability to access the resources they would need to complete it outside of class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our in-class podcasting experience was my first time podcasting. I enjoyed the experience, but it was a lengthy project, and most of the time was spent sound editing and working with recording technology. In my opinion, this is a big drawback to the project. It is obvious that the students’ role in creating the podcast has numerous benefits, both academic and otherwise. A student-created podcast is a unique and creative way to deal with content, as well have students practice writing, editing, and speaking skills, time management, and group work. Still, I must be honest when I say that I am not sure how much I would be “dying” to use this particular project as an in-class project. The editing portion of the podcast seemed to be the most tedious and time intensive, especially since I am not totally comfortable with a lot of the technology. I could see this as a great project to use in a technology class, or with the guided help of a technology instructor.

    I think one way that this project could be more time efficient is if it was incorporated with some sort of technology class, where students would have the opportunity to learn how to do some of the editing and revising on their own. This would be most practical with older students (high school). Also, it might be possible to assign students different roles in the podcast creation. For instance, some students would be responsible for writing and recording, while others would be in charge of editing the project outside of class.

    I could see the podcast project being a good option for a large, group project where students had the freedom to choose the medium of their project. This would allow interested students the ability to explore this medium without requiring such a bulk of classroom time. As a teacher, I might provide resources (contacts with the technology department, information on podcasting) that might encourage students to try a podcast for a project without requiring the entire class to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As stated before, I think the biggest challenges for this project would be time and students' knowledge of technology. This was my first time podcasting, and I can imagine that it would be difficult to allow students ample time to learn the technology and to complete the task. Additionally, I can imagine it would be hard for the teacher to divide his/her time evenly between different groups to accommodate everyone's needs.

    It would be necessary for the teacher to play a large role in this assignment. The teacher would probably need a fair amount of time to teach students how to use the technology. Then, teachers should be present during the planning of the podcast, responsible for editing the scripts, and overseeing the recording. Depending on time restraints, it may also be necessary for the teacher to do the final editing. I think the teacher should prioritize the quality of the script and information over the sound effects and editing.

    If podcasting isn't possible to do in the classroom, the teacher could make it an option for an assignment, or hold after-school seminars on the programs used in podcasting. It would certainly require a lot of teacher enthusiasm and willingness to donate time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely agree that podcasting is a challenge. I don't see how it can really be functional / plausible to implement in a classroom. From my brief experience with podcasting, I see time to be the biggest issue. It took our group very close to two hours to finish a few minute podcast. I just don't see how a classroom teacher has the time to do that during a class, or students to do it outside the class. My high school had 43 minute classes, and I don't think that there's any way that we could have finished a podcast in one class period. Or even, really, in a few.

    I suppose that teachers could give their students instructional lessons in podcasting ahead of time, so when it comes time to actually create the podcast they can get right to work. After the podcasts are complete, the teacher can figure out a way to gather them all together and distribute them to the other students. Again, though, I think that time is an issue that is too large to surmount.

    If podcasting in the classroom isn't an option, you could hold after school sessions for interested students to come learn how to make a podcast and experiment. This, though, requires a lot of extra time from the teacher, and assumes that students would be that thrilled about podcasting that they would want to come in after school...which I see as a little bit too idealistic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a future teacher who might use podcasting in my classroom, the biggest obstacle I can see with the method is the large portions of time outside of class and school that a teacher would have to use producing, editing, and syncing the podcasts. It really is just creating more work for yourself, and it might not even be worth it, especially depending on the topic and audience of the podcast. Another obstacle would be the students' familiarity with podcasting technology. Are they comepetent with editing/recording audio programs? How much class time can we afford to devote to podcasting before it becomes detrimental to a student's learning and a classroom's objectives.
    The teacher could do all of the pre-production and post-production activities that podcasting requires: editing, syncing, implementing music, writing scripts, etc. Doing all of these things, as well as recording during class, would make podcasting much more efficient with less wasted time. However, increasing podcasting efficiency is counterproductive to student creativity. Students are not writing their own scripts and critically thinking about what the topic of the podcast, but instead just reading off of a teacher created script.
    If podcasting in class is not feasible then creating an assignment or project with numerous options for completion, like a podcast, would allow students who are interested and passionate about the integration of technology and learning to podcast while still meeting assignment requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having had no experience with podcasts before this assignment, I had little idea of what to expect. While I can see how it may be difficult for some to find a use for the podcast, I personally enjoyed it and will definitely consider using it in my classroom. Without a doubt, podcasts have a place in foreign language classes, as it gives students the chance to practice their oral skills and learn from their own mistakes, a key part of learning a foreign language. The greatest challenges when creating a podcast are being able to ensure that the time spent preparing the podcase is a productive and effective use of time. Without the proper preparation and execution, podcasts can untimately amount to a substantion amount of classroom time wasted. In order to make a podcast a successful project, time must be used efficiently.

    Before the project, the teacher must make sure that the use of the podcast is actually enhancing the subject matter. We mustn't try to force a podcast in a subject where it doesn't belong. During the project, the teacher must monitor the students to make sure they are staying on task. If it is not an in class exercise, the teacher must ensure that the students have their podcast planned out before they do it so that the time spent recording is an efficient use of time. After the project, the teacher needs to load the podcasts onto a class page so that the students may enjoy and learn from each others' work.

    If making a podcast is not an option, using a tape recorder is a very similar experience. It provides the same method of recording and can be used in the exact same fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought the podcasting experience was very interesting. I'm going into secondary education, and think that podcasting could be a very useful and new way for teenagers to connect the technology of the times to what they're learning in class; it's kind of like the new book report. The biggest problem that I could forsee when asking my students to podcast is that it takes a lot of time and editing that I am not sure that students would have time for. Considering this, I would probably make podcasting an end-of-the-year-type assignment, instead of a weekly production or something similar.

    I think that a better use of podcasts in the classroom could be for lessons or review-type things, similar to the way that you can find college lectures on iTunes. It would be another way for students to access things learned during the school say when they are at home and having trouble with homework. While obviously not ideal for all subjects, I think that this could be a better use of podcast technology if students are uncomfortable with it or if there is not enough time in the classroom to spend on podcasting.

    Another way to introduce podcasting to students without forcing it upon them could be to make it one of several options for presenting a project. That way, students interested and/or knowledgable about the technology could use podcasting without intimidating other students.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely thought creating a podcast was a unique experience for me. I had never previously worked with sound editing technology so intensely. I think one of the greatest challenges in implementing such a project with my future students would be the comprehensive use of technology. As college students in a Teaching with Technology class, we are expected to have some background in technology, especially a few weeks into the class. However, we will not be able to guarantee that our students will have such a background. Beyond that, even if they are comfortable with the basics of computers, it would still probably take at least a full lesson to introduce them to the technology. Essentially, it could be a large time commitment.

    In order to make a podcast project more efficient in the classroom, it would probably require a good deal of preparation outside of the class. Firstly, I think it would be important for a teacher to create their own podcast in the style they would wish their students to create their podcast as well. Then, they should create a very detailed guide of how to use the technology, and what they want out of the project. They should probably also research other teachers similar experiences to see what works best. During the project, they should keep an eye on all of the students and be prepared to help technologically and academically whenever possible.

    If podcast technology is not available, students could use other audio-recording technology to gain the same effect. If that is not even available, they could write scripts out of what their podcast could be and perhaps perform it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think podcasting is an innovative way to have your students engaged and learning. As opposed to assigning tasks that may be seen as mundane, podcasts may be seen as fun while helping to build many skills (research, teamwork, technological, oral presentation, etc.). With such benefit, I feel creating a beneficial podcast takes much effort. One of the main obstacles that may arise when attempting to create a podcast is access and knowledge of usage to the technology. Unfortunately, not every school has access to the audio/computer program needed for podcasting. In addition, not every classroom has a teacher that is knowledgable/interested in podcast usage.

    For those schools that do have access to podcasting, I feel the more important thing that a teacher can do to ensure it's successful usage is planning. Beforehand, the teacher should make sure that he/she thoroughly knows how to use the equipment. Also, he/she should provide examples of how a podcast can be completed for that specific content. During the assignment, it would be important that the teacher ensures the quality of research being done by his/her students. At the conclusion of the project, the teacher should have a "connector" activity that allows students to analyze how their completed assignment relates to other topics and projects.

    If podcast materials are not available, the students could visit places where this audio equipment does exist (i.e. local radio station).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think one of the huge problems you could run into with this project is having one kid end up having to do all the work. Our group worked very well together, and sat through all of the editing process as a team, but our students are unlikely to be as committed or as group-work-experienced as the three of us were. Without the proper supervision and oversight, I can easily see this turning into a project where the one technophile in the group ends up shouldering the load of the whole project because it's too tedious to do as a team together. The other problem I can see arising is in access to technology. Not every school is equipped with the software/hardware necessary to complete a project like this, and probably even fewer students have access at home.

    Things to do before: Spend some time making sure the students have a firm understanding of the programs they'll be using, as well as what constitutes a quality podcast. Give them some time to practice finding music, recording a few test tracks, and poking around in the program to see what it can do for those who are curious.

    Things to do during: Circulate throughout the room (preferably with a media specialist or other adult) to make sure the students are on task. There are a lot of cool distractions in programs like Garage Band that the students will be using, so it will be important to make sure that they're staying on task instead of just having a grand time on things that don't relate to their project. If it's a multi-day project, also make yourself available to answer questions that they may have about either content or technology (or give them the resources to find those answers for themselves).

    Things to do after: Review the things that they learned and give kids the opportunity to learn more if they want to. Help them find out where and when they can have access to the technology to create similar projects in the future, and encourage them to explore the area further if they would like to.

    If doing as podcast in class is not an option, but students are interested, make arrangements with the media specialist. Set up a time that the students can use the lab (or other computer area) to learn the technology, and to work on individual projects under supervision. Work closely with the media specialist to equip the students with the right tools to explore this interest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Implementing podcasts is definitely a challenge in the classroom. I think the greatest challenge is the amount of time it takes for students to create the podcast. Since teachers are expected to teach the SOLs, assigning projects such as podcasts take away time that is necessary for a teacher to get through all of the material they are expected to teach within a year. A podcast may be fun for the students, but if I am faced with the option of teaching an SOL or assigning a podcast, I have to choose to teach in order to fulfill my job.

    Some things I could do ahead of time to make the project more efficient might be to have the students research the topic at home and to possibly create the script for the project for homework. This way, they could come into class having already prepared for the assignment, and all we would have to do in class would be to physically make the podcast.

    Whereas I am not a big fan of assigning podcasts in the classroom, I definitely think that some students would really be interested in creating podcasts of their own. I think a podcast-making club would be a big hit within a school, and I would not be opposed to sponsoring this club. This way, students that are good with computers or students who are interested in podcasts can tone their abilities with podcasts, while at the same time I wouldn't have to worry about dedicating my teaching time to making podcasts.

    ReplyDelete